Headford GAA Club
The History of Headford G.A.A.club stretches back to 1888 though it was not until the acquisition of a gaelic playing pitch in 1951 that Headford G.A.A. Club began to become a prominent figure in North Galway football Our first team was known as "Headford Rangers", and it is said that this team participated in various tournaments and challenge matches over the next fifteen years.
As is still the case, local rivalry played a big part in Headford football in those days with the forming of an unaffiliated G.A.A. team in Clydagh in 1905. This rivalry existed until 1913, when the teams merged together to form a very strong team under the name of the "Corrib Shamrocks". This was due to the County G.A.A. Board being organised into four regional boards - North, South, West and East. The Shamrocks wore lily white jerseys with a large shamrock emblazoned on each side of the front. With the Shamrocks participating in the West Board, this was most inconvenient for the Headford based team, as they either had to travel by boat, via Lough Corrib, or take the longer route around the lake, via Cong or Galway City, for games against Connemara opposition.
Shortly after the Easter Rising of 1916, another club was formed in the Headford area under the name of "Clooneen P.H. Pearses", who also participated in the West Board competitions. Records show that both teams competed against each other in the early rounds of the 1919 West Board Championship.
In 1920, Fr. Michael King C.C. was transferred to the parish of Headford and he immediately saw that this rivalry was not to be desired at such a troublesome time in our nation's history. In response to this, he succeeded in uniting the forces of the Pearses and the Shamrocks under the name of "St. Fursey Gaels". Due to the Troubles at that time, games were suspended and it was not until 1926 that teams began to take the field. 1926 also brought Headford its first major success on the football field when they won the West Board Senior Championship.
The 1930's saw Headford competing in the Junior Championship and they succeeded in winning back-to-back West Board Junior Championship titles in 1932 and 1933.
It was, through the Irish Land Commission, the acquisition of a new six and a half acre, gaelic playing pitch in 1951 on the Palmer Estate, Gortnamona, Headford, that brought new life came to the club with many of the young players taking great pride in their new home of football. In 1953 the Minors gained many great victories on their way to their historic County Final win after a replay against Clifden.
This was the club's first ever county title and this team was to prove the backbone of the 1955 Junior team that went on to win the North Board League title.
After the historic victory in 1966, Headford were promoted to the Senior ranks where they acquitted themselves quite well. Headford were regraded to the Junior ranks in 1974 and by 1976 they were challenging for honours again at that level. After winning the North Board League against rivals Caherlistrane, the sides met again in the North Board Championship Final, but this time it was Caherlistrane who came out on top on a scoreline of 0-7 to 0-4.
The 80's held mixed fortunes for Headford G.A.A. club as it sometimes struggle to come to terms with Intermediate football.
1987 was as close as Headford came to winning major honours at Intermediate level, as they were beaten in the Championship final by the narrowest of margins. Following a brief spell at Junior level in the early 80's, the team returned to Intermediate level in 1994. Success at under-14 level in 1990 and 1991, under-16 in 1985 and Minor in 1987, success was sure to follow in the near future. In 1998, Headford had arguably its best year ever on the football field with the club capturing none other than five prestigious trophies, the North Board Minor "B" league title, Under-21 "B" North Board and County Championship titles and the Junior "B" North Board and County Championship titles.
At the moment the club is developing a new clubhouse which should be opening shortly.