Blackriver & District Game & Conservation Club
Blackriver & District Game & Conservation Club was founded in 1958. Formally known as Blackriver Gun club. Our club has a constitution and board of elected members. Blackriver is a member of the National Association of Regional Game Councils (NARGC) and all our members are fully insured with this national body. There are 926 clubs in the NARGC. We promote game wildlife management and encourage conservation in Headford and surrounding areas.
Rosstaff Bird Sanctuary
One of our proudest projects, a joint venture by BlackriverGC and State Forestry and Wildlife Services. The reserve is at its best from November to February. A flock of 100-200 Greenland White-fronted Goose, smaller numbers of Whooper and Bewick’s Swan, Wigeon, Teal and Shoveler are regular. Peregrine are often seen.
Over the years we have seen huge loss of habitat through various developments, reclamation and roads. We are not in any way against progress or developments but our aim is to save a little of these remaining habitats. Every year our club plants native trees and hedgerows to increase habitat.
We support farmers providing humane predicator control, an essential part of game and wildlife conservation.
We actively encourage farmers to become member of Blackriver.
- Blackriver Shooting grounds are located 2km east from the town of Headford which is 20 minutes from Galway City.
- We hold regular shoots catering for the experienced and novice shooter
- We provide coaching for first time (novice) shooters
- All Blackriver shoots are supervised by Certified Club safety officer.
- Spectators are also welcome
- Disciplines - DTL, ABT and a variety of sporting clays.