Clydagh National School
Clydagh National School is situated four Kilometres southwest of Headford, on the north-eastern shore of Lough Corrib. The building enjoys a scenic rural setting close to the lake and the nearby Norman Cargin Castle. The medieval Cargin Cemetery is also close by.
It is thought that Clydagh National School was originally founded in 1839 as a private school for the children of the local landlord-George Lynch Staunton. National school status was formally applied for in 1852. The present school was constructed in 1951 with a traditional 2-classroom, 2-teacher layout. An extension was added in 1985 as a result of the generosity, goodwill and labour of the local community.
On the 24th June 2001 the community celebrated the school's 150th anniversary on a beautiful warm summer Sunday with pupils and teachers past and present, young and old. The original founder was represented by his great-great grandson and special guest, Senator John Lynch-Staunton of Canada.
The year 2002 saw the publication of "Of Beauty Rarest-history of Clydagh National School" compiled and edited by Michael H. Carroll to commemorate the anniversary.
In recent years the population of Clydagh has grown and this has breathed a new vibrancy into the life of the school. At present the school has an ideal pupil-teacher ratio of 8:1. The staff consists of 2 full time teachers, a shared learning support teacher, a part-time resource teacher, a special needs assistant and a caretaker. In addition to the core subjects of the curriculum, a healthy interest in a variety of extra-curricular activities is encouraged. The children enjoy football, unihoc, table tennis, swimming, French language and Irish dancing.
The children are taught in two classrooms - infants to first in one group and second to sixth in the other. The school has lots of space outdoors with gardens,a playground and football pitch.