Cloughanover National School
Scoil Einne (St, Enda's School) is situated in Cloughanover, a village 1.5 miles south of Headford on the Galway road.
A school existed within the confines of what is now Cloughanover Graveyard. (The school register dates back to 1873). A ‘new' school opened in Cloughanover in 1895. This building, which was subsequently transformed into a substantial dwelling house, was replaced in 1965 when another ‘new' school was built. This building was typical of the flimsy structures, which were erected in many parts of the country in the 1960's. They were characterised by much glass but they contained one very novel feature, running water in classrooms!
Since then the school has undergone at least three ‘facelifts' – money was tight and primary education was not a priority for the government. However, we are now in a more enlightened age and our politicians realise that money spent on education at first level is indeed a wise investment.
With the help of a substantial grant from central funds, we have just completed two new large classrooms; a general-purpose room, a learning support room, a resource centre room, a staff room and the existing rooms have been renovated tastefully. The grounds are not yet complete, but in a few months all that will be changed. The official opening of the school will occur some time in the first half of 2007 and with the history of Cloughanover and surrounding area due for publication c. Easter 2007, there are exciting times ahead for young and old in the village of Cloughanover and neighbouring townlands.