Headford Development Association
This association was formed on May 3rd, 1959. There were 22 local members in the association originally. The association participated in the tidy towns competition for many years and much work was put into the effort by the local people.
In 1964 Headford tied with Ballygar for 1st place in Ireland in the tidy towns competition and won a prize of 50 pounds.
A piece of land known as the cow park was sold to the association by the land commission in 1961. The land consisted of 22 acres of which 2/3 was marshland, then a plot of this land was made available for provision of a cattle mart for Headford which has been operating successfully to the present day. More recently a plot of 4 acres was sold at a reasonable rate to Galway County Council for the provision of a sewerage treatment plant for the town. Work on this project is ongoing. Many of the original trustees have gone to their eternal reward.
At present there are 8 legally appointed trustees of the remaining land and it is hoped to provide amenities for the area plus some industrial units to provide local employment on the remaining lands.